Enrollment & Registration
Eligibility for Enrollment to New Prague Alternative Learning Center
A student under the age of 21 must meet or be experiencing difficulty in one of the following criteria to be eligible to choose a non-traditional education.
- performs substantially below the performance level for pupils of the same age in a locally determined achievement test;
- is behind in satisfactorily completing coursework or obtaining credits for graduation;
- is pregnant or is a parent;
- has been assessed as chemically dependent;
- has been excluded or expelled according to sections 121A.40 to 121A.56;
- has been referred by a school district for enrollment in an eligible program or a program pursuant to section 124D.69;
- is a victim of physical or sexual abuse;
- has experienced mental health problems;
- has experienced homelessness sometime within six months before requesting a transfer to an eligible program;
- speaks English as a second language or has limited English proficiency; or
- has withdrawn from school or has been chronically truant; or
- is being treated in a hospital in the seven-county metropolitan area for cancer or other life threatening illness or is the sibling of an eligible pupil who is being currently treated, and resides with the pupil's family at least 60 miles beyond the outside boundary of the seven-county metropolitan area.
Referrals for enrollment into the NPALC may come from a school administrator, counselor, or his/her parent or guardian.
- Referrals should be directed to the NPALC Lead who will determine if the student meets eligibility for the ALC.
- A mandatory meeting will take place with student, parent, and director to cover the parent permission (if under 18), Application, and Continual Learning Plan for the student.
- A team meeting is required if a student is receiving Special Education services. The team must agree that the ALC will best meet the student's educational needs. Individuals involved should include but may not be limited to: principal and/or counselor, ALC lead, case manager, regular education teachers, parents and the student. Parents are encouraged to be present at the meeting.
- You may apply electronically by clicking HERE or download the application below. Call the ALC office at (952) 758-1745 to set up a meeting to discuss enrollment and to sign remaining paperwork.
All students enrolling with the ALC will need to enroll to the New Prague School District as part of the ALC Registration. Please contact Janelle Sasse, (952) 758-1703 or apply online at npaschools.org under "enrollment" for registration into the district.