A Memory Walk
A “Memory Walk” celebrating the history of the 1923 public high school will be held Sunday, April 23, 2017 from 2:00 - 4:00 pm. The event is sponsored by New Prague Area School District 721 and, the New Prague Area Historical Society. The event will include, a program of reflection that will begin promptly at 2:00 pm. and following the program a tour of the building, memorabilia displays, and refreshments.
The construction of the high school began in 1923 and was completed and dedicated in 1924 at a cost of $125,000. The new “modern” high school included a gymnasium with proscenium stage, locker rooms, library, district office, science room, band room, study hall, and classrooms. The new high school was connected to the 1907 high school building by a tunnel. The 1907 high school housed the school kitchen and lunch room in the basement. In addition, classrooms on the first and second floor eventually housed elementary and junior high students in grades one through eight after the new high school opened.